During the 1950s, the Everhart began collecting glass that reflected nearly 15 centuries of glassmaking. The Museum added to this collection by acquiring a large selection of Dorflinger Glass wares in the 1960s, and opened the permanent Dorflinger Glass Gallery in 1969. Dorflinger Glass, which began operation in 1865, was long located in White Haven, PA and became one of the most important glass works in the country, requested by the Lincoln White House, Benjamin Harrison White House, Vanderbilts, Goulds, Whitneys, Pierces, West Point Military Academy, and more.
The Everhart’s permanent Dorflinger Glass Gallery reopened in 2023 following an extensive reinstallation, completed with assistance from Dorflinger Factory Museum President, CEO, and Founder Jim Asselstine and Curator Kurt Reed.
This new installation traces the chronology of Dorflinger Glass as represented in the Everhart’s collection and features remarkable pieces from the Abraham Lincoln and Benjamin Harrison White Houses, as well as renowned glass colored by Honesdale Decorating Company in Honesdale, PA from 1901 to 1915.