In celebration of its 115th anniversary, the Everhart Museum is hosting Everhart 115 Community Day, a free community event on Saturday, May 20 as a thank you to all of Northeastern Pennsylvania for its support over the years. The day will feature free admission from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and free arts, crafts, music, entertainment, and demonstrations from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. inside and outside the Museum.
- The painting of a community mural of the Everhart Museum with assisting artist Sam Kuchwara
- Music by Doug Smith’s Dixieland All-Stars
- Rocks and minerals demonstrations by Steve Carter of Penn Minerals
- Guided hikes around Nay Aug Park with Jane Frye (Register here!)
- Free spring-themed photo booth
- Free cake sponsored by Riccardo’s Market
- Local history scavenger hunt by the Lackawanna Historical Society
- Turn-of-the-20th-century reenactors
- Much more to be announced!
The event also commemorates the opening of the Founder’s Gallery, which opens Thursday, May 18. The Founder’s Gallery showcases the life of Museum founder Dr. Isaiah Fawkes Everhart, tracing his life from its beginnings in rural Southeastern Pennsylvania, through his career as a surgeon in the Civil War, to his settling in Scranton and establishment of the Museum that bears his name.